Friday, July 9, 2010

Double shift

My day started with a great cup o joe at 4:30 am, then off to clinic. It was a busy day right off the bat! The night shift left us with 4 postpartums, and 2 labors. I did a newborn exam, some PP vitals, 4 baby checks (3 wk/6 wk). Then on to the labors... both primips (1st time moms). the first one was pretty straight forward. I'm still in the charting stage, so apart from the occasional heart tone, I'm pretty hands off. However, the 2nd labor I charted and assisted. check and check. This labor wasn't so straight forward... mec., hemorrhage, baby transport for breathing issues (he's OK). A very full morning!

Back at the house by 2:30p, finally ate lunch, talked to my Bana (hubby), got a much needed crash course on Visayan (the language here), and took a nap. I woke up @ 6:15 to she sound of the dinner call. My Dutch house-mate had made an Amazing dinner!

My next shift started at 10p. I made a big pot of coffee in preparation :) Upon arrival, I immediately jumped into a wonderful straight-forward birth (charted) and thought there were 2 more labors going, but turned out they were too early and were discharged.
An incredible Storm rolled in, much like the one from yesterday morning, only with thunder and lightening! It rolled out just as fast, and now it's 12:45 am. All is quiet now except for the PP from earlier, and I'm having fun IMing some random family and friends =D

I have tomorrow off, and a group is planning to scuba dive... I'm all in :) let you know how it goes! now I'm going to try and get some Z's before the next labor comes (back) in.

1 comment:

  1. wow!! sounds like a great start and you're getting some really good experience. Have a great rest of your night and fun scuba diving tomorrow - that's awesome!!

    Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete