Saturday, July 17, 2010

It's just another day for you and me... pics added



No, I didn't go back to Paradise Island, I went to DMC (Davao Med. Ctr.). It is truly a terrible, terrible place, but it's the only option for our poorer patients when things happen that are out of our scope of practice.

I caught baby # three yesterday on morning shift. The labor was fast, and it went really well, but the baby came out really floppy. We had to use PPV (positive pressure vent.) but even when he perked up, his cry was really weak as was his tone. We kept him on blow-by O2 for 4 hours, and he seemed to be getting better, but as soon as I moved him from the O2 to do footprints, he started to fade. His color seemed to get worse when he cried, which is a bad sign. I put him back on blow-by and he pinked up, but decided to transfer him because he was too weak to nurse, and we were worried it might be a heart condition.

We could barely cut through the chaotic crowd. I can't really describe how awful this place was, and I couldn't believe I had to leave this poor little one in that mess. We were Squeezed into a tiny little corner and got the baby set up with their O2, prayed with his grandma, and then had to leave.

I will go to check on them after shift today... If I can find them. Apparently it isn't an easy task to locate people there even when they're checked in.

Please pray for baby J.

5 comments:

  1. Praying for Baby J, and for you, my dear. I know it's hard on you. Remember that God is in control, and that you will be a blessing to all He puts in your path through this experience. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Hope, it's horrible to think that having a baby is a life or death decision depending on how much money you have. I would not want to make that choice. I'm glad you were there with Baby J and mom to fight for them and comfort them in their hour of need. I love you and miss you lots! I'm praying for you and I'll pray for Baby J. Stay strong. You are my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, gosh, Hope - my heart breaks for you, baby J and "Mom". Will pray for a way to improve hospital/medical conditions for the people there. God knows the money is out there. In my minds eye I can see God's mighty hand holding you up, so don't grow weary. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checking back in again to say I love you and I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the support! I love you all!!

    ReplyDelete